Below you will find my in-depth online broker comparison chart. I know that with all of the brokers out there, it can be hard to find which one will fit your needs best. That is why I created this chart. I included everything I thought most people look for when deciding a place to invest their money. I have done personal reviews of many of these sites, and you can click on the ‘Read My Review’ button within the online broker comparison chart to be taken to my experience with the broker in question. Below the table is a chart with current sign up promotions.
A few notes about the online broker comparison chart:
- While it looks like every option is a stronger choice over Betterment, don’t dismiss Betterment so quickly. They are the next generation of online brokers where they do everything for you. All you have to do is set up an account and you are basically done. I highly encourage you to consider them first, then look into the other choices. I personally have an account with Betterment and can’t stop singing their praise.
- The rating you see is based on a scale of 1 to 10. I took the information listed in the chart as well as my experience into account. The rating is not based off of each other. So Scottrade doesn’t get a 9.0 because it is better than the others. It gets it ranking because of all of its own features and benefits. This is why Betterment score a 9.0 even though you see a lot of red x’s.
- If you are looking for an account for stock trading, I would suggest Scottrade above all the others, hands down. I have nothing against the other choices, but Scottrade just makes it so easy and effortless. Plus the fact that their customer service is top-notch doesn’t hurt.
- Let me know if you think I need to add anything else to this chart to help you make an informed decision. I want to help you be a successful investor and finding an online broker is the first step. I intentionally kept the list of brokers small because I feel the ones I have listed are “best of breed”.
- Lastly, do yourself a favor and open up a free Personal Capital account as well. Doing this will help to confirm you are diversified and that you are not overpaying with regards to management fees.
Online Broker Comparison Chart
Below you will find all of the current promotions for the discount brokers. Note that in many cases, you need to open an account with a certain dollar amount. When you click through, you can read all of the fine print. (Disclosure, some of these links are referral links, meaning that I will get a kickback if you sign up. Thank you in advance to all that sign up through my links.)